I've been taking a break from Christmas knitting, and made this little baby set as a gift. The brief was "girly but not pink", so I chose some blue yarns out of my stash. I've been trying to get rid of stash yarn for quite a while now, and this set used up 3 balls - yay!
First up is this helmet, knitted from a Sirdar pattern, using Sirdar Snuggly Tiny Tots DK. It's a really quick and simple little pattern that I've used before, and the yarn has pretty flecks of colour in it. I decided that the ear flaps weren't quite long enough to fit under the chin comfortably, so I omitted the button hole and added little crochet chain ties instead.
I've also got a lot of cotton in my stash that needed using up, especially this Patons 100% Cotton DK. I'm not usually a fan of mercerised cotton, as it doesn't knit up very evenly sometimes, and the finished effect can be quite hard to the touch. This stuff is lovely though, and I thought it would be perfect for a slightly structured baby jacket.
The pattern is from a Sublime hand knitting book, and it's a cute classic design, much like the old fashioned matinee coats that were popular in the 1950s. I do love a vintage design updated for the modern day! I adapted the pattern to knit in one piece to the armholes, and added little daisy buttons for a pretty finishing touch.
Here's hoping that it will fit the baby, and that her parents like it!