Sunday, 20 November 2011

Moss

I was really excited, earlier this year, to have my first pattern accepted by the Knit Picks International Designer Program! It's a fantastic scheme which allows you to have your patterns for sale on the Knit Picks website, making them available to a much wider audience - as well as showcasing Knit Picks' amazing selection of yarns.
The design which was published is Moss, a chunky cabled shoulder bag. It's designed to carry your everyday essentials and stand up to frequent use. The bag is fully lined, and has a button closure at the front. Some knitted bags can stretch, so I wanted to make sure that the lining would take a reasonable amount of weight, and allow the bag to still look its best as well as being practical.

My original sample was knitted in Stylecraft Signature Chunky, a fluffy woollen yarn which has now been discontinued. For the Knit Picks sample, I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky, an amazingly smooth and squishy pure wool yarn which is available in a wide range of colours. I chose a lovely green shade, Oregano, but my test knitters made beautiful bags in deep shades of orange, which worked equally well.

Picture courtesy of Knit Picks
























With this design, I was inspired by the yarn to create something very textured and springy, with a feel of the outdoors. I used thick basketweave cables, and then the moss stitch edgings gave me the name. I'm really happy with the finished result, and now I just have to keep up with the orders from various friends who would like one!

If you would like to make your own Moss bag, simply click on the link in the pattern name near the top of the page, which will take you directly to the Knit Picks website.

No comments:

Post a Comment