Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Inspiration

The urge to "nest" is making me do strange things. The other day I decided to sort out my bin liner of scrap pieces of yarn. This bag is full of wool, cotton, acrylic, bamboo - all kinds of fibres, colours, shapes and sizes of balls, from mohair to boucle and everything in between. I've always intended to have a look through it and make something beautiful with all the different colours, but I never got round to starting the job.

I decided to start by getting everything out on the floor and making some sort of colour wheel so that I could see what was there. I'm no artist, so the colour wheel was made entirely from memory, and might not be 100% accurate!













I discovered that there were some largish balls that might make a little bag or perhaps a pair of baby bootees. Other scraps are so small that they would need to be combined in a patchwork design, or knitted in stripes.













I love the deep pink colours that I found - some scraps of cashmere and merino, one ball of novelty silky yarn, and vintage crepe from the 1950s.













Then I discovered sea-green mohair, some slubby dark green wool, and Lister Lee Bri-Nylon in a lurid yellow colour. I dread to think how this would have looked when knitted up into a whole garment!













Some beautiful soft fluffy yellow angora made me think of Easter chicks, so maybe there's a toy just waiting to be knitted up there.













Then I came across this mix of fibres in cool, calming shades - speckly tweed wool, soft dove grey bamboo, and fuzzy lilac mohair.

So what will I do with these oddments? First of all they went into a clear plastic box, rather than being consigned to the binbag. Then I went looking for pattern links and ideas that used lots of colours. One of my favourites has to be Miaou's fish blanket, a riot of colours and giving off an air of rainbow cheerfulness. I don't know if I have the patience for this type of project though!
I also love Attic 24's crochet hexagons, although I think I'd need to use yarns that were all the same type in order to get a good finished effect. Alternatively, I'm really inspired by these freeform crochet ideas. The mix of colours and textures would be perfect for my assortment of yarns, and I could create a wall hanging or some really unique artwork.

On the other hand, I may throw a whole load of colours together and see if inspiration strikes me - if anyone has any ideas for using up random scraps of yarn, feel free to send me a link and let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I would do something freeform and make it as bright as possible. You could make a play mat for baby or a wall hanging for the nursery. Or maybe some cushion covers? I hope you find your inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a play mat sounds interesting! Lots of bits for the baby to feel and play with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sock blankie on Ravelry is a nice project. You can just do it in DK though the pattern is for sock yarn. It's nice & easy & you can just plod away at it. x

    ReplyDelete